Saturday, July 19, 2008

Antelope Island by Moonlight Bicycle Ride

Syracuse, UT
July 18, 2008

After a 69-mile ride earlier that day (in preparation for the 300 Warriors ride), I hopped into the car with my sister-in-law Tara and we headed north to Davis County for the Antelope Island by Moonlight bicycle ride. It's a popular, family friendly bike ride at Antelope Island State Park, in the middle of Great Salt Lake. The ride started at 10:00pm and was lit by the full moon. The 24-mile route went from the Marina to the historic Fielding Garr Ranch and back. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of my own from the event, but I got this one from another webpage just for kicks. The theme was “Creatures of the Night,” so we saw several people decked out in various costumes and a lot of glow stick jewelry. Some folks even had their bikes outlined with neon necklaces (tires and all) and I was very jealous. I'm putting that on the list for next year! It was a great night, the weather was warm, and we had a nice tailwind when we started out. Luckily the bugs didn't bother us much once we left the car and got off the causeway—same with the stench wafting off the lake.

The ride back to the car was a little more difficult, since that tailwind had turned into a head wind, but we pushed on. We finished the ride around 12:30 am and got home about 2 am. Luckily I could sleep in on Saturday!!

0 comments: